IBM’s Real Proof Points
Let’s focus today on just a few of the awesome proof points that IBM announced yesterday.
What’s clear is that these are not just wild claims backed by no data.
These are real, externally-reviewed and published leadership results across important workloads that you can really use as one source of input in comparisons of infrastructure.
- The new IBM Power 780 (POWER7+) with DB2 10 achieved the best 96-core two-tier SAP SD Standard Application Benchmark result. This result was 88% better per core than the HP DL980. (1)
- The new IBM Power 780 (POWER7+) with DB2 10 achieved over 2x the performance per core of the Oracle SPARC T4-4 application server on the Java SPECjEnterprise benchmark. (2)
- The new IBM DS8870 was just announced as the #1 SPC-2 storage benchmark result over HP, Hitachi and Oracle. (3)
Not just pretty pictures and fluff, but the real stuff.
(1) IBM Power 780 (3.72 GHz) two-tier SAP SD Standard Application Benchmark result (SAP enhancement package 5 for the SAP ERP 6.0 application: 12 processors / 96 cores / 384 threads, POWER7+, 1536 GB memory, 57,024 SD benchmark users, running AIX® 7.1 and DB2® 10, dialog resp.: 0.98s, line items/hour: 6,234,330, Dialog steps/hour: 18,703,000, SAPS: 311,720, DB time (dialog/ update): 0.009s / 0.014s, CPU utilization: 99%, Certification #2012033.vs. HP DL980 G7, Xeon, SQL Server 2008, 25,160 users, 8 processors/80 cores/160 threads, SAP enhancement package 4 for SAP ERP 6.0, Certification # 2011021. http://www.sap.com.
(2) WebSphere Application Server V8.5 and DB2 10 on IBM Power 780 (POWER7+), (16 core app server, 16 core db server), 10,902 SPECjEnterprise2010 EjOPS. vs. Oracle WebLogic Server 11g and Oracle Database 11g Release 2 with Oracle Real Application Clusters and Oracle Solaris running on a four-node SPARC T4-4 cluster, each system with four SPARC T4 3GHz processors, (128 core app server, 64 core db server), 40,104.86 SPECjEnterprise2010 EjOPS. http://www.spec.org
(3) Storage Performance Council, “SPC Benchmark 2™ Full Disclosure Report IBM Corporation, IBM System Storage DS8870,” October 2012. Source: http://www.storageperformance.org/results/benchmark_results_spc2.
Results current as of 10/4/12.
SAP and all SAP logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SAP AG in Germany and in several other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
SPEC, SPECint, SPECfp, SPECjbb, SPECweb, SPECjAppServer, SPECjEnterprise, SPECjvm, SPECvirt, SPECompM, SPECompL, SPECsfs, SPECpower, SPEC MPI and SPECpower_ssj are trademarks of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation (SPEC).
SPC Benchmark-1 and SPC Benchmark-2 are trademarks of the Storage Performance Council.
The postings on this site solely reflect the personal views of the author and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of IBM or IBM management.